Recently I read a story about a man who dreamed he went to heaven. When he arrived, an angel began showing him around. Here’s the story:
The angel and I walked side-by-side inside a large workroom filled with other angels. My angel guide stopped in front of the first section and said, “This is the Receiving Section. Here all the prayer petitions to God are received.”
This area was terribly busy with many angels sorting out petitions written on countless sheets and scraps of paper from people all over the world. Then we moved down a long corridor until we reached the second section.
The angel said, “This is the Packaging and Delivery Section. Here all the blessings people asked for are processed and delivered to those who requested them.”
I noticed again how busy that area was. There were lots of angels working hard at that station. Many blessings had been requested and were being packaged for delivery to Earth.
Finally, at the farthest end of the long corridor we stopped at the door of a very small station. To my great surprise, only one angel was seated there, idly doing nothing. “This is the Acknowledgment Section,” my angel friend quietly admitted to me. He seemed embarrassed.
“How is it that there is no work going on here?” I asked.
“So sad,” the angel sighed. “After people receive the blessings they asked for, very few respond with acknowledgments.”
“How does one acknowledge God’s blessings? “I asked.
“Simple,” the angel answered. Just say, “Thank you, God.”
“What blessings should they acknowledge?” I asked. The angel replied:
- “If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead, and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of the people in this world.”
- “If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.”
- “If you received this message on your own computer, you are part of the 1% in the world who have that opportunity.”
- “If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the many who will not even survive this day.”
- “If you have never experienced the fear of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 700 million people in the world.”
- “If you can attend a church without the fear of any harassment, arrest, torture, or death, you are envied by and more blessed than three billion people in the world.”
- “If you can hold your head up high and smile, you are quite different from all those in the world who live in doubt and despair.”
- “If you can read this message, you are more blessed than billions of people in the world who cannot read at all.”
Motivated to action, I said, “What now? How can I start?”
The angel said, “Bow your head right now and thank God for his bountiful blessings!”
Happy Thanksgiving! Have a good day, count your blessings, and pray with me:
“Thank you Lord, for the many blessings I have received and continue to receive every day. Help me never forget the source of these blessings and always to remember to praise you for all your goodness in my life. Help me do so every day, until the day that, with all your saints, I will praise you eternally in your heavenly kingdom; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen,”