This sermon outline was shared with me by Pastor Jim Fandrey, who served on the LCMS Board of Directors during my years as LCMS president. I thought you might find it of interest.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
God gives us his Word in the Bible, Holy Scripture. There’s a lot to absorb in all 66 books, from Genesis through Revelation. We cherish and revere the Bible, because it tells us about what God has done for us and for our salvation. But there is so much to remember. Maybe this morning, we all would be helped, if we would learn . . .
THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO A DECK OF CARDS
- God reveals himself to us through his Word
- Ace: one God
- Deuce: Bible divided into two parts: Old Testament and New Testament
- Trey: Holy Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- Four: Evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
- Are we wise or foolish, when we hear God’s Word?
- Five: five wise virgins, out of ten; faith was burning and they entered the kingdom at the Lord’s invitation
- Five foolish virgins, with faith extinguished, were locked out
- God promises to provide us with all that we need to support this body and life
- Six: the days of creation
- Seven: God rested, the model for our Sabbath rest
- God assures us: his mercy never ends, and we must be grateful
- Eight: the people saved on Noah’s ark, the people who received the promise
- Nine: the unthankful cleansed lepers; only one returned to give thanks
- In God’s Word we receive both Law and Gospel
- Ten: the Ten Commandments
- Jack: knave and devil, defeated by Jesus
- Queen: Mary, mother of our Lord
- King: Jesus, King of kings and Lord of lords
Perhaps you’ll think about this the next time you see a deck of cards. God bless your day!