- “The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?” – David Sarnoff’s associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.
- “We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.” – Decca Recording Co., rejecting the Beatles, 1962.
- “Everything that can be invented has been invented.” – Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
- “The super computer is technologically impossible. It would take all of the water that flows over Niagara Falls to cool the heat generated by the number of vacuum tubes required.” – Professor of Electrical Engineering, New York University.
- “I don’t know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn’t be a feasible business by itself.” – Thomas Watson, head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox.
- “Louis Pasteur’s theory of germs is ridiculous fiction.” – Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.
- “The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon.” – Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873.
“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.” – Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.
So, there you have it, dear friends and readers: “Reminders to help us keep an open mind.” The statements from folks of yesteryear considered at that time experts in their respective fields proved to be short sighted and inaccurate. You’ve heard it said, Never say “never.” They essentially said “never.” But they were wrong.
It’s my hope and prayer that at least in some small way this series encourages you to think big thoughts, to dream big dreams, to not automatically dismiss a courageous vision because it seems impossible, to work and plan and pray for God’s blessing on the endeavors of the bold, the courageous folks who are not satisfied with the status quo. “With God nothing is impossible!”
May God bless and keep you in his love and care!